Watermelon, Mozzerella, and Tomato Salad
I LOVE living in NYC. One of my regular restaurants is ELMO on 19th Street in Chelsea. During the summer, they always serve this salad. I have made it so many times, and it’s always a hit…Watermelon and tomatoes go beautifully together, and what better way to celebrate the summer than with these two amazing summer ingredients taking center stage!!!
Watermelon, Mozzerella, and Cherry Tomato Salad
4C cubed seedless red watermelon
2C Cherry tomatoes (try mixing up varieties and colors)
1 Ball of fresh mozzarella (we have the BEST in NYC)
1/2 c of fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
1/4C pine nuts, toasted
Balsamic Glaze (You can make your own by slowly reducing balsamic vinegar, but pre-made high-quality balsamic glaze is more than fine)
- Cut the seedless watermelon in cubes.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the mozzarella into similar size cubes as the watermelon.
- Chiffonade the basil by bunching it, rolling it, and cutting it into ribbons with a clean pair of scissors.
- Arrange the watermelon on a chilled platter, cover with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Toss if you like. I prefer to keep things a little more composed and stack each component on top of each other.
- Sprinkle pine nuts over salad.
- Glaze with balsamic glaze right before serving. I don’t like the salad when it is pre-dressed. I leave the dressing on the side of the platter in a squeeze bottle.
- Refrigerate salad and serve cold, preferably on chilled salad plates.
As you can tell, this salad is COMPLETELY reliant on the quality of each individual component. Great watermelon, great tomatoes, great basil, great mozzarella…
HINT: Toast pine nuts in a DRY frying pan until they begin to smell…Remove to a chilled plate IMMEDIATELY to stop cooking and avoid burning. Pine nuts are expensive.