No frills, no icing, no powdered sugar please. This cake is perfect just as it is. The flavor of butter, and the refreshing lemon topping, makes this cake a perfect compliment to tea. I love it for breakfast. However, if you need to embellish this very moist and tangy cake, feel free to do so. The cake is solid enough for filling and stacking. DO NOT DOUBLE THIS RECIPE.
Makes 1 8″ Round cake
For the cake:
1/2 C (1 stick) + 1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the topping:
1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1/4 C of sugar (You can use less)
- Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees. Butter, flour, and line an 8″ round cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy and light.
- Beat in lemon zest, and eggs one at a time, until combined.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in milk and vanilla. Batter should be thick and smooth.
- Place batter into pan, and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Make the topping: Combine lemon juice and sugar.
- Pour topping over warm cake and allow to cool completely in the pan.
This is a foolproof, easy cake to make. It really is a “DUMP EVERYTHING INTO A BOWL” recipe.